Taking a closer look.

What are people creating in Google Sketch-Up? Looking into the 3D Warehouse of this design world.

Saturday, October 16, 2010

PE1_Google SketchUp

Goolge SketchUp is an open source design software for creating 2-D and 3-D graphics. I have used this software in the past and understand some of the basic principles of creating 2-D drawings. Recently I've been exploring the 3-D component of the software. As I'm interested in incorporating this into my curriculum I find that I need to invest more time in understanding this program. In the previous year I have developed a floor plan for a house in Google sketch up. Now I am taking those basic skills and applying them to create prototypes of common everyday items. This may seem as an easy transition but up to this point I have found nothing easy about this. So as I invest my time in learning more about this software and understanding how to utilize it to develop this type of product I will feel confident in sharing this with my students. As part of my action research project I want to look at open source design software and how it can engage students in their schoolwork. I am looking at putting a spin on an innovation unit I cover with my sixth grade students. The unit will allow the students to discover Google sketch up and how to analyze how today's products are constantly being improved. I have realized very quickly that this is a new arena for me and I really need to know more. So I've started with learning the basics about Google sketch up once again and exploring the more advanced features that this software has to offer. I have viewed several tutorials and instructional videos to increase my understanding.
Here is a video of whats new:

Over the next 10 days I plan to create some sample drawings for my lessons in this unit. During my research I have also been exposed to the world of Google sketchup plug-ins. These extensions allow Google sketchup to adventure into domains that I never knew existed. Between the basic videos of Google sketchup and tutorials in its plug-ins I feel I have a lot of ground to cover before I can present this to my class. I say this with complete confidence because I did a test with a small group of six graders in the past 30 days at the beginning of the school year. I introduced what I was planning on doing and how I was going to incorporate this into their lesson and allowed students to learn along with me as I explore the transition from simple 2-D floor plans into 3-D prototype designs. It was truly a learning experience for both parties. It has resulted in my quest for learning more about Google sketchup and how I can apply it to my curriculum. It has also helped me to develop my action research project. I have found that I can learn just as much from my students as I can from other sources. So stay tuned as I explore the world of Google sketch up and it's 3-D warehouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment