Taking a closer look.

What are people creating in Google Sketch-Up? Looking into the 3D Warehouse of this design world.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

W3_Reading




The reading that I've done this month to support my action research has made me look at my current curriculum differently. I am looking to make connections with open source design software and how it can improve student engagement in their schoolwork. My investigation started with the software Google sketch up from the Google Corporation. In the past year I had been exposed to this software and how it can be incorporated in the Technology Education curriculum.

So at this point most of the reading that I have done has been surrounded by this topic. As I dig deeper I find myself looking at open source software in education and the negatives and positives. Also the perception of administration on open source software and its adoption into the educational environment. Going even further into my research I find myself looking at Web 2.0 applications and how their impact on education has affected student learning in and out of the classroom.

There is evidence in all of these areas that connect directly to my action research. It is my charge to link these common threads to support my beliefs or questions. Will open source software improve student’s engagement in their schoolwork? The answers lie ahead of me as I conduct my action research as I analyze and assess my students during this process.

“I believe with Dewey, Montessori, and Piaget that children learn by doing and by thinking about what they do. And so fundamental ingredients of educational innovation must be better things to do and better ways to think about oneself doing these things (Papert 1980).” (Clements, D.H. 1997)


Clements, D. (1997). Effective Use of Computers with Young Children. Retrieved from ERIC database.

No comments:

Post a Comment